Michael P Sampson
Orlando Collaborative Family Attorney
In collaborative practice, Mr. Sampson works with teams of fellow collaborators, neutral mental health professionals, financial experts, and allied experts. On collaborative teams, Michael helps couples identify and achieve their interests and resolve issues for themselves and their children. Out of court. Privately. Confidentially. Amicably. With Dignity. Collaborative law gives families opportunities to spare themselves the pain and exorbitant costs of litigation and to emerge emotionally intact.
Michael’s practice also includes drafting premarital and postnuptial agreements, often involving closely-held family businesses and trusts.
- Sampson Collaborative Law (2017-present) Owner
- Carlton Fields (2002-2016) Shareholder
- Holland & Knight LLP (1994-2002)
professional and civic activities
- Collaborative Family Law Group of Central Florida, Board Member (January 2017-present)
- Collaborative Family Law Group of Central Florida (2014-present)
- Florida Academy of Collaborative Professionals (FACP) – Communications, Publications, and Social Media Committee
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (IACP) (2014-present)
- Central Florida Family Law American Inn of Court (2006-2014)
- Rules Committee of the Family Law Section of the Florida Bar (2000-2006)
- Rules of Judicial Administration Committee of the Florida Bar
- Leadership Orlando Class 66
- Duke University School of Law (J.D., 1986)
- Duke University (M.A., 1986 – Economics)
- Cornell University (A.B., 1983), with distinction
- In the Matter of the Adoption of D.P.P., 158 So. 3d 633 (Fla. 5th DCA 2014). Reinstating a judgment of adoption and reversing the order that vacated that judgment of adoption on the basis that the circuit court lacked jurisdiction to consider a petition for adoption filed by unmarried women.
- Osterberger v. Osterberger, 88 So. 3d 955 (Fla. 4th DCA 2011).
- Odak v. Vitrano, 45 So. 3d 487 (Fla. 4th DCA 2010).
- Grasso v. Mulholland, 835 So. 2d 361 (Fla. 5th DCA 2003).
- O’Neill v. O’Neill, 823 So. 2d 837 (Fla. 5th DCA 2002).
- “Collaborative Family Practice: Dividing Retirement Accounts,” (January 2018).
- “Remind Employees to Update Beneficiary Designations,” (December 2016).
- “Family Law: Corporate and Trust Challenges to Service of Process and Jurisdiction,” (December 2016).
- “Update Beneficiary Designations After Divorce or Annulment,” (December 2016).
- “Domestic Partnership Agreements: FAQs,” (August 2015).
- “Domestic Partnership Agreements: Financial Disclosures and Privacy,” (August 2015).
- “Domestic Partnership Agreements: Survivor’s Rights on Death,” (August 2015).
- “Domestic Partnership Agreements: Support upon Termination of the Relationship,” (August 2015).
- “Domestic Partnership Agreements: Separate Property and Jointly Acquired Property,” (August 2015).
- “Domestic Partnership Agreements: The Home and Joint Expenses,” (July 2015).
- “Domestic Partnership Agreements: Overview,” (July 2015).
- “Six Defenses to International Child Abduction,” (January 2015).
- “Divorce and Beneficiary Designations—Florida Law Changes,” (January 2015).
- “Fifth District Reinstates Judgment of Adoption” (May 2014).
- Chapter Author, “Home Court Advantage: Jurisdictional Disputes in Time-Sharing Cases,” Inside the Minds: Strategies for Family Law in Florida, 2011 ed., Aspatore Books (2010).